Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grapefruit bitters, part one


I've been getting packages from the US Postal Service all week, and today it was time to start putting them to good use. I rode my bike up to Giant to pick up the last of the remaining pieces, a grapefruit and an orange, and put some ingredients for grapefruit bitters in a jar to steep until tomorrow. I used:
  • zest of 1 ruby-red grapefruit (some pith, I used a zester to peel)
  • zest of 1 small lemon
  • zest of half an orange
  • 10 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
  • 1/2 teaspoon milk thistle
  • 1 teaspoon wormwood
  • 1 oz. fresh ginger, julienned
  • 1 inch piece of calamus root
  • 375ml Everclear
I plan to let this steep overnight... well, probably until tomorrow night when I get home from work. Photos and taste updates to come.

UPDATE: I put some of this in a medicine dropper with a little superfine sugar and a touch of water. Verdict = pretty damn tasty. I've been using this in a few cocktails, and I really like the touch of grapefruit flavor.

No comments: