Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mixology Monday: Bourbon -- Kentucky Kernel


This week's Mixology Monday is bourbon, and is being hosted by the guys over at Scofflaw's Den. I got this cocktail from a book I picked out of the bargain bin at Borders, called The Bartender's Companion to 750 Cocktails. I didn't expect much out of it, but the book does have pretty pictures and it only set me back $4.99. Anyway, this drink takes its name not from the kind of colonel in KFC but rather from the apricot kernels that make apricot brandy. That, and Kentucky is the home of bourbon of course. I tinkered with the recipe in the book just slightly, using a little more bourbon and a dash of Peychaud's Bitters.
  • 2 measures Bourbon (I used Bulleit)
  • 1/2 measure apricot brandy
  • 1 measure grapefruit juice
  • 1 tsp. grenadine
  • Dash of Peychaud's Bitters
The bitterness of the grapefruit juice kept the grenadine from making the drink too sweet. In the original recipe, which called for 1 1/2 measures of bourbon, I felt that the other flavors overwhelmed the bourbon a bit. With the added bourbon, this problem is gone.

Update: The Kentucky Kernel is also the name of the University of Kentucky student newspaper. Coincidence? I have no idea.

No comments: